In the year 1862 Isaac Burton, upon leaving Fort McPherson where he had been a saddler for the cavalry, was on an exploration trip. He was impressed with the area where Deer Creek joins a bend of the Republican River and vowed to return one day and settle there. He returned 8 years later and opened a trading post in a log cabin they built.
This first permanent settlement became known as ‘Burton’s Bend’. A post office was established by that name in August 1872. The railroad came through the area in the late 1870’s and a village sprang up near the old trading post and quickly grew into a town.
The town’s name was changed to Holbrook in 1881 in honor of a Chicago, Burlington & Quincy Railroad official. By 1895 the local businesses numbered more than 20. A fire on April 24, 1907, that started in the livery barn and spread quickly throughout the town, wiped out most of the business section of Holbrook. Some merchants left, but many stayed and rebuilt.
Throughout the years Holbrook has supported many businesses including a Chevrolet Dealership, two grocery stores, a hardware store, floral shop, and several churches.
Holbrook also had an active community band, along with the local band at the school that provided entertainment on a regular basis in the large round bandstand on Main Street. This bandstand was eventually donated to Pioneer Village in Minden, NE.
An original 1800’s log cabin is a point of historical interest in the Holbrook Park and is maintained by the Furnas/Gosper Historical Society.